Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Review of Mega Munch Sticks and CareFRESH Complete Menu Guinea Pig Diet

Two new piggy items, guys!

First, we have a new brand of food to try out. I've mixed in the rest of Ignatius's old food into his serving so he can get used to it. This is what it looks like from the package:



You can already see some bits of fruits and seeds, so let's take a closer look.


Hm...there's also some nuggets that aren't normally good for cavies, so I need to make sure that the ingredients are indeed natural. If I see any artificial dyes, I might not feed this to Ignatius.

The ingredients state that there is all natural coloring, and there doesn't seem to be any nuts, either.



There is several types of things in here.


Dried Peas: These are usually alright for pigs. Too much can be a problem, though. The bag has only a handful of peas scattered in here, so I'm not concerned about this.

Timothy Hay: This is kind of disappointing. The hay isn't as fresh as it seems it would be. I'm going to pick out as much as I can.

Nuggets: These are soft, natural, and all around pretty safe. I'm just worried Ignatius will gravitate towards these rather than the vitamin-enriched pellets he should be eating.

Dried Carrots: These are also okay in small quantities. They are very small, so I'm guessing he might just pick over these.

Pellets: These are thick, easy to break, and fresh-smelling. Hopefully the little guy thinks so as well.

Dried Raisins: This is the main thing I'm concerned about here. Fruit is very fattening for piggies, so I will also pick these out. 


So, overall...I'm giving this 3.5 stars. I don't like it as much as Selective, but it's not that bad.

Likes: Pellets, the overall, freshness of the food, major pig appeal.

Dislikes: The dried fruit and the not so fresh hay. Also, I just found the dried peas to be very hard, so I'm definitely going to remove them all together.


Pig Appeal

So, what does Ignatius think of it?


"Is it feeding time?"

"This is new!"


"Is it okay to eat?"



(The feeding amount using this food)


"Mm! Tastes yummy!"


Overall, CareFRESH Menu Guinea Pig Diet passed. It's not the best of the best, but it's good enough for me to approve. Next time, though, I think I'll go back to Selective. I still like using that food very much, and it's Iggy's favorite as well.


Next up,



This is a cute toy for guinea pigs and rabbits 'made out of 100% natural willow bark.'
It smells very natural, and looks like a good chew toy.
At first I was a bit confused as to how you gave it to your pet. 


Two of the sticks were so thin I could slip them out, but then I realized the sticks were meant to stay as one large piece and it was up to the pet to slip them out. There is no glue of any kind on this to hold it together, which is very safe for our furry friends.

When analyzing new products for pets, I always look at it all over, read the ingredients, and do a little research.

This chew toy is very simple to examine, and I think I am finished checking it out. It is definitely alright for guinea pigs.

The question is...will Ignatius like it?


A tentative sniff...



He seems to be more interested in eating than his new toy.


He finally musters up the courage to nibble it, then playfully toss it with his nose. He apparently is interested.

After a short period of nudging and nibbling the little guy is used to his huge thing longer than he is. Iggy approves. (:




 








 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment here! If you want to post a question visit the tab Ask Us - your question will be answered faster.